Week Two: Tracking Tops

               Last week I wrote about MRI/US Fusion Guided Biopsy, but one thing I did not go into detail was the equipment used during the biopsy. In general, the equipment involved are the biopsy needle, the ultrasound probe, and the fusion biopsy device itself. The first two pieces of equipment are well known, but the fusion biopsy device is not always recognizable. A fusion biopsy device, in general terms, is the centerpiece of the procedure. Overall, it is responsible for tracking the position of the ultrasound probe, displaying the segmented MRI and US images, and recording the location of the biopsies. All these functions make it more impressive the number of different approaches companies have employed to execute these demands, specifically in tracking the US probe position. Currently, there are three methods to achieve this: i) mechanical systems, ii) electromagnetic tracking, and iii) image-based tracking (examples shown below). Here, I have observed biopsies with mechanical systems, which use encoders on mechanical arms to track the probe position.

Figure 1. An example of a type of mechanical system used in a fusion biopsy device using an attached mechanical arm to track the ultrasound probe position.
 Image source: https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/

This week I met the CEO of one of the fusion biopsy device companies to learn more about their fusion biopsy device, and see the differences between it and their competitor during biopsy sessions. The main differences I noticed between the two devices was the degrees of freedom for movement and the software utilized by each device. In the session, it was clear how these factors change the workflow of the biopsy that can influence a clinician’s decision in equipment. Seeing these differences and talking to the CEO about the development and considerations underlying the device excited my engineering mindset. Combining this with the observations I have made in the clinic reminded me of how important biomedical engineers are to the hospital and the communication required between all parties involved to address patient concerns.


Beyond the hospital, I have continued to explore New York, but needed to put a small pause on my mission to find the best coffee and chai. Instead, I have been exploring New York and seeing both new and old sites. With respect to new I finally visited Times Square. However, while there I came across an old sight I thought I would not see again. I’m talking about (what I consider) the silliest chairs I have ever sat on in what I call the red top chair. These chairs as shown below, you can sit and swivel around due to the point at its base like that of a top. I first saw and sat in these back in Utah during my undergraduate studies, and hated them then. My feelings have not changed and I still consider them very silly. Yea I used to play with tops growing up, but I have never felt that this would be a good chair design. The novelty of the chair is fine, but I digress. With that I’ll end this post and continue my search for coffee and chai.

Figure 2: The red top chair.
Image source: http://www.hermanmiller.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week7

Week 5: Spine Surgeries and Excel Files

Week 6 (Jason Chang)