Week 7: This is not a goodbye, only “hasta luego”. (Josue)

It is hard to conceptualize the impact that the Summer Clinical Immersion Program has had in my life as a graduate student and future contributor to the field of biomedical engineering. These past weeks have served as a catalyst to rediscover my passion for the advancement of medicine and science. I feel extremely thankful for being able to experience clinical research in ways that were impossible to envision before coming to Weill Cornell Medical College. The professionalism, compassion, and willingness of medical doctors, scientist, and engineers to share their knowledge and expertise have been an instrumental part of the journey.

Furthermore, being immersed in the hospital setting for six consecutive weeks gave me the opportunity to be exposed to the entire spectrum of the medicine. By shadowing Dr. Stein on the clinic, I learned about the importance of preventive healthcare and the impact that personalized medicine could have in patients worldwide in the future. Although my interaction with the patients was limited to an endocrinologist stand point of view, I realized that many life-threatening health conditions such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes, if prevented, can drastically improve the outcome of patients with hormonal and skeletal-specific complications.

Moreover, the rheumatology and metabolic bone grand rounds at the Hospital for Special Surgery were also monumental parts my personal experience during the program. I was astonished to see the collaborative work of doctors and their willingness to get outside of their comfort zone by asking other physicians about cases that were beyond their level of expertise. Furthermore, undoubtedly, my favorite part of the program was entering the OR to see multiple orthopedic surgeries treating a vast range of conditions from scoliosis to advance osteoarthritis and degenerative joint disorders.

From NYC, I take memories imprinted on my heart from its beautiful scenery, magnificent architecture, wonderful culinary options, and fast-paced lifestyle. Upon my return to the Ithaca campus, I am committed to maintain ongoing communication with Dr. Stein and potentially collaborate with her research team in future projects.

Lastly, I want to express my profound gratitude the Meinig School of Biomedical Engineering and Weill Cornell Medical College for making this summer an unforgettable experience for all of us.

Josue




       





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week7

Week 5: Spine Surgeries and Excel Files

Week 6 (Jason Chang)