Week5

For my project, I did a summery of what I've done and made comparison between different algorithms I have tried for this project. I also read another paper of an interesting algorithm. Apart from my project, I also had a chance to go to OR and shadowed two surgeries, although I didn't make it to the end because I wasn't feeling well that day.


Fig 1a: Neuron outlines detected by watershed algorithm;
Fig 1b: Neuron outlines detected by region-growing based method. 
  1. Project updates:
    By far, I have tried three methods for automatic image segmentation: watershed, watershed-based neutrosophic method, and regrowing-based method. The first method, watershed, works very well for most of the neurons, but neurons in the region of low signal cannot be detected. A neutrosophic methods is developed based on watershed. In this algorithm, data is converted from image domain to a neutrosophic domain. However, several non-linear transformations amplify the noise, and therefore degrade segmentation results. The last methods is based on region growing. It can work well to separate overlaying neurons, but still cannot detect neurons with low signal magnitude. Fig 1 presents results of the first and third method, since the second method doesn't work very well.
  2. Clinical experience:
    I also had a chance to go to OR this Thursday, and shadowed two surgeries in the afternoon. One of the surgeries was to fix the leakage of cerebrospinal fluid. In order to locate the origin of leakage, the doctors injected a kind of dye which can turn the cerebrospinal fluid to green, so the origin can be traced by the green dye. What is also impressing to me is that the doctors burned the tissue to stop the leakage. Although it seems to be a commonly used technique in the surgery, I haven't seen that before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week7

Week 5: Spine Surgeries and Excel Files

Week 6 (Jason Chang)