Week 2 - Moni



Week 2 was more productive, since I've started getting clearances to do more lab work. Notably, on Tuesday, the lab spent the day doing mouse surgery to test the efficacy of a new cell line in healing tendon rupture of the rotator cuff. It took our 6 person team 12 hours since we did 10 mouse cages. I was impressed with the tenacity of the scientists in our lab to do this procedure on these incredibly small mouse samples through the entire day. I also got trained on the multiphoton microscope at WCMC, which I will be using in the coming weeks to evaluate tendon degeneration in mouse models. Today I was able obtain surgical discards of tendon samples from Dr. Rodeo's surgeries that I will be using for my studies to investigate mechanobiology of degenerative tissue. I also had the opportunity to meet some engineers from GE, who were designing new MRI coils for patient comfort. It was interesting for me to talk to the engineers and the radiologists to see common problems faced with instrumentation, and the communication and design process between the two groups.

On Thursday I attended a seminar, presented by Dr. Rodeo, about the clinical state biologics in orthopedic treatment, which I found to be very beneficial. As a PhD student, I read many research papers looking at novel applications of biologics, but these are still investigative and used primarily in animal models. The clinician's perspective of personal preferences towards specific treatments, or the efficacy of the treatments in human use, is something that often falls between the cracks in communication between clinicians and researchers.

Outside of lab, I'm still enjoying everything the city has to offer. Since I didn't win Hamilton tickets yet, I went to see Phantom of the Opera instead. I spent some time over the weekend in Brooklyn and had this delicious taco at Smorgasburg, which came with a great view of Manhattan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week7

Week 5: Spine Surgeries and Excel Files

Week 6 (Jason Chang)